Saturday, February 15, 2014

Book Review: Learning Cloudera Impala


Recently I was given a reviewer's copy of Learning Cloudera Impala from the publisher Packt Pub. The fact that I was given a copy of the book in exchange for a written review has in no way influenced my rating of the book.

Learning Cloudera Impala by Avkash Chauhan is a book that I wanted to like, but couldn't really get into.

In addition to numerous errors that I noticed, for me the text didn't flow well and it took me longer to read than it should have because of this. I believe that the author knows how to use and implement Impala, but he had wasn't able to convey that to me in a way that I felt I was learning something. The book is also light on examples showing how the technology can be used to accomplish the task at hand.

I know that Impala is a newer technology and more books will come out covering it, until then I think that reading the online documentation is just as good a bet as reading this book.

I unfortunately can't even recommend this book as a reference as there are too many places that the author sends you to the web to learn more about a topic that he has covered at a very high level.

Maybe I missed the point of this book, but too me it falls short.

For those who like to see actual ratings, I give the book a 2 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment